Davenport Deadheaders

Davenport, Iowa

Established 1922

1946 Northern Division Champions

Davenport Deadheaders primary mark, embroidered.
A collection of vintage Davenport Deadheaders team pennants.
Female baseball fans photographed before a Davenport Deadheaders game.

Club History

The Davenport Deadheaders were organized in the spring of 1922 by men employed in the commercial greenhouses, municipal planting crews, freight yards, and factories along the city’s west end. The first club played Sunday afternoons against company teams and independent nines from neighboring river towns.

The nickname was not selected at a formal meeting. It first appeared in a local box score during the opening season, apparently borrowed from the work performed by several of the club’s founders. Other papers repeated it, and by the following summer the players themselves had accepted the name.

For its first two seasons, Davenport relied on borrowed grounds and collections taken among players and west-end merchants. The club later settled at West End Park, a rough municipal diamond near the freight yards that local subscribers helped fence and improve. When the Deadheaders entered the Midland Association in 1928, the park became their permanent home.

Davenport’s first sustained success came in 1931. The Deadheaders stayed near the top of the Northern Division throughout the summer and secured the pennant during the final week of the schedule. That club also standardized the cream block D worn on its navy caps.

The 1931 team did not begin a dynasty. During the remainder of the decade, Davenport was better known for consistency than dominance. The Deadheaders usually finished in the upper half of the standings, traveled with a modest roster, and proved particularly difficult to beat at West End Park. Sunday doubleheaders regularly drew factory workers, railroad families, and spectators crossing the river from Illinois.

The spent-bloom emblem associated with the club appeared later. It was introduced in a 1938 program and gradually replaced the block D as the Deadheaders’ principal printed mark. The letter remained on the cap, while the Deadhead appeared on advertisements, scorecards, pennants, and club stationery.

The team completed its 1942 schedule but suspended operations before the following season. Several players entered military service, travel became increasingly difficult, and the club’s directors concluded that a proper regional schedule could not be maintained.

When Davenport reorganized in the spring of 1946, few expected an immediate championship. Manager Walter “Red” Donnelly assembled a roster from returning servicemen, veterans of the prewar club, and several younger players recruited from factory and neighborhood teams. Catcher Eddie Larkin returned as captain, while right-hander Sam Kovac emerged as the staff’s most dependable pitcher.

Davenport was not built like a powerhouse. The Deadheaders had neither a rich sponsor nor a deep bench, so Donnelly managed the club for steadiness rather than spectacle: a settled lineup, heavy use of his starting pitchers, and experienced defense at the center of everything. First baseman Frank DeLuca supplied much of the power, while Eddie Larkin caught nearly every important game and served as the club’s steadying voice behind the plate.

Davenport remained in the division race throughout the summer. The Deadheaders finished 68–40 and secured the Northern Division title during the final weekend of the schedule, earning the club’s first pennant since 1931.

At the conclusion of league play, Davenport accepted an invitation to meet the Tyler Roses, champions of the Southern Independent Circuit. The privately arranged seven-game series was intended to settle years of argument between the two regional leagues.

Tyler had finished 76–28 and carried the reputation of a club built to win every season. The Roses won two of the first three games at Cotton Belt Park before the series moved north.

Davenport evened the series with a 2–0 victory in Game Four, but Tyler reclaimed the advantage the following afternoon. Facing elimination in Game Six, the Deadheaders broke open a close game in the middle innings and won 6–3.

Kovac started the deciding game on short rest. Tyler scored twice early, but he allowed nothing after the third inning. Davenport cut the lead to one before DeLuca doubled home the tying run in the sixth. The Deadheaders pushed across the go-ahead run in the eighth, and Kovac finished the complete-game 3–2 victory.

Contemporary accounts placed the final-game crowd at more than 4,000. Spectators filled the wooden grandstand, packed the first-base bleachers, and stood several rows deep behind temporary rope lines running along both foul territories.

The Midland Association recognized Davenport only as its 1946 Northern Division champion. The series against Tyler carried no official sanction, and no governing body awarded a trophy.

In Davenport, that distinction mattered very little. The 1946 Deadheaders were remembered simply as the team that beat the Roses.

Club and Community

Club Record

Club Davenport Deadheaders Baseball Club
Location Davenport, Iowa
Established 1922
Years Active 1922–1942; 1946–1951
Operations Suspended 1943–1945
League Midland Association
Division Northern Division
Status Independent regional club
Home Park West End Park
Ballpark Capacity Approximately 3,200 seated; more than 4,000 with standing room
Club Colors Navy blue, cream, and red
Primary Uniform Cream flannel with navy pinstripes, red “DAVENPORT” lettering, and navy trim
Travel Uniform Gray flannel with navy “DAVENPORT” lettering and red trim
Cap Navy with cream seam piping and a cream block D
Primary Cap Mark Cream block D
Common Shortened Name The Deadheaders
Informal Nickname The West End Nine
Club Motto See It Through
Home-Victory Custom Supporters donated deadheaded blooms in galvanized gate buckets before first pitch, then threw flowers from brown paper bags after Davenport victories
Postwar Honorific The Team That Beat the Roses
Primary Club Emblem The Deadhead—a spent flower wearing a Davenport cap
Official Mascot Name None; club publications referred to the figure simply as “the Deadhead”
Cap Mark Adopted 1931
Deadhead Emblem Adopted 1938
Motto First Used 1946
Club President, 1946 Emil Sorensen
Manager, 1946 Walter “Red” Donnelly
Club Captain, 1946 Eddie Larkin, catcher
Division Titles 1931, 1946
Best-Known Inter-Circuit Opponent Tyler Roses
1946 Official Result Northern Division champions
1946 Inter-Circuit Result Defeated Tyler, four games to three
Series Status Privately arranged inter-circuit series; not recognized by either league office
Final Season 1951
Recordkeeping Note Complete club records before 1928 have not survived
Embroidered red DAVENPORT wordmark used on the Deadheaders’ cream primary uniform.

Club Uniforms and Marks

The Deadheaders’ appearance was plain by design. Their uniforms relied on flannel, block lettering, and a narrow set of club colors: navy blue, cream, and red. The result was not decorative, but it was immediately recognizable.

Davenport’s primary uniform was cream flannel with navy pinstripes, red DAVENPORT lettering, and navy trim. It was the club’s clearest field presentation: light in color, formal in construction, and severe enough to match the west-end grounds where it was worn.

The travel uniform was gray flannel with navy DAVENPORT lettering and red trim. It carried the same arched lettering across the chest, but with less contrast and a more practical character. In photographs from the period, the travel uniform appears heavier and quieter, suited to rail travel, visiting parks, and long afternoons away from West End Park.

The cap remained Davenport’s most consistent uniform element. Navy with cream seam piping, it bore a cream block D at the front. The mark was standardized during the 1931 pennant season and continued as the club’s uniform mark through the final season of 1951.

The spent-bloom emblem appeared later. First printed in a 1938 program, the drawing showed a drooping flower wearing the same Davenport cap as the players. By the postwar season, the Deadhead had become the club’s primary display mark, used on advertisements, scorecards, pennants, ticket books, and stationery.

The figure was never given a personal name. Club publications referred to it simply as the Deadhead.

Together, the uniforms and marks gave Davenport two related identities. On the field, the club was represented by flannel, pinstripes, and the block D. In print, it was represented by the Deadhead itself — worn down, plainly drawn, and still standing.

Davenport Deadheaders primary cap mark in cream felt.

Flannel, Felt and Thread

West End Park

West End Park occupied a narrow pocket of Davenport’s industrial west end, hemmed in by freight tracks on one side and municipal greenhouses on the other. After spending their first two seasons on borrowed grounds, the Deadheaders began using the field, and subscriptions from neighborhood merchants paid for the first fence and grandstand before the club entered the Midland Association.

Nothing about the park was symmetrical. The outfield followed the surrounding property lines, producing a short right-field corner, a deep center field, and a left-field wall running beside active tracks. Trains passed within sight of the field throughout afternoon games, and smoke or steam occasionally drifted across the outfield. A hand-operated scoreboard stood in straightaway center field.

The roofed grandstand pressed unusually close to home plate. Players claimed they could hear individual remarks from the front rows, while visiting catchers complained that the low roof caught every shout and sent it back toward the field. Factory workers often arrived directly from their shifts, and Sunday doubleheaders drew railroad families and spectators from across the Mississippi.

By the middle of the 1930s, every Davenport home victory ended with the organ’s familiar three-note jingle. The crowd answered in unison:

“One, two, three—throw those flowers!”

Brown paper bags opened throughout the park, and spent blooms flew from the grandstand, bleachers, and foul-line ropes until the field and dugout roof were scattered with wilted petals.

For the deciding game against Tyler in 1946, supporters secretly reserved red and white roses for the final victory. After the last out, the organ sounded, the crowd counted together, and the flowers poured onto the field. The players had known nothing about the agreement, and several stopped before reaching the dugout, visibly moved by the tribute.

West End Park remained the Deadheaders’ home through 1951. After the lease was not renewed following the 1951 season, the grandstand was dismantled in 1952, portions of its lumber were sold locally, and the grounds were absorbed into the surrounding freight and industrial property.

Illustrated site plan of West End Park showing the 330-foot left-field line, 390-foot center field, 305-foot right-field line, grandstand, bleachers, freight yards, and municipal greenhouses.

Field and Park

West End Park field, seating, admission, amenities, clubhouse, traditions, and closure
Ballpark West End Park
Location Davenport, Iowa
Setting A narrow industrial tract between Davenport’s freight yards and municipal greenhouses
Key Dates First used after the club’s first two seasons on borrowed grounds; permanent home by 1928; expanded in 1931; refurbished in 1946; final season in 1951
Left Field 330 feet
Center Field 390 feet
Right Field 305 feet
Scoreboard Hand-operated nine-inning board in center field with runs, hits, errors, and telephoned out-of-town scores
Lighting None; all games were played in daylight
Seating and Admission
Roofed Grandstand Approximately 2,400 seats close behind home plate
First-Base Bleachers Approximately 800 uncovered wooden bench seats
Seated Capacity Approximately 3,200
Largest Recorded Crowd More than 4,000 for Game Seven against Tyler in 1946
Ticket Booths and Gates Two exterior wooden ticket booths with barred sales windows beside a fenced main entrance and service access near the grandstand
Displayed Admission Prices Adults 35¢; boys 15¢
Parking 186 marked spaces beside the park, with more than 300 overflow spaces provided by neighboring factories
Concessions and Amenities
Concession Windows Three visible service windows beneath the grandstand: hot dogs, popcorn, and beer
Posted Food Prices Hot dogs 15¢; hot dogs with sauerkraut 20¢; hamburgers 20¢; popcorn 10¢; peanuts 5¢; candy 5¢
Posted Drink Prices Coffee 10¢; beer 15¢; ale 15¢; ginger ale 10¢; root beer 10¢
Public Restrooms Four total; the men’s rooms used wall-length metal trough urinals
Public Amenities Four drinking fountains, two pay telephones, a first-aid room, and a lost-and-found desk
Clubhouse and Traditions
Home Clubhouse Beneath the third-base grandstand with 24 open wooden lockers, four showers, a trainer’s table, and equipment storage
Manager’s Office Small private room with a desk, chalkboard, lineup board, and scorebook cabinet
Visiting Clubhouse Beneath the first-base bleachers with 18 lockers and two showers
Ballpark Organ Organ installed beneath the grandstand; a three-note jingle followed every Davenport home victory
Flower Buckets Galvanized buckets near the gates collected donated deadheaded blooms before first pitch
Victory Tradition Fans chanted “One, two, three—throw those flowers!” before tossing blooms collected at the gates and carried in brown paper bags
1946 Final-Game Tribute Red and white roses were reserved for the deciding victory over Tyler and thrown after the final out
Postgame Flower Collection Groundskeepers delivered the spent blooms to the municipal greenhouse for composting
Closure The grandstand was dismantled in 1952, and the site was absorbed into the surrounding industrial property

Snapshots from West End Park

The Championship Season

The 1946 Deadheaders were assembled quickly and entered the season without the expectations carried by the larger independent clubs. Donnelly’s roster contained experience but little excess. Starting players were expected to remain in the lineup, and Davenport relied more heavily on complete games than most of its rivals.

By midsummer, the arrangement had become an advantage. Kovac established himself at the front of the rotation, DeLuca supplied consistent power, and Larkin kept an experienced defense organized behind the pitching staff. Davenport remained within reach of first place and secured the division during the final weekend.

1946 at a Glance

Regular-Season Record 68–40
Home Record 39–15
Road Record 29–25
Division Finish First
Manager Walter “Red” Donnelly
Club Captain Eddie Larkin
Leading Pitcher Sam Kovac, 18–7
Leading Hitter Frank DeLuca, .327
Division Title Clinched on the final weekend
Tyler Series Davenport won, four games to three
Deciding-Game Score Davenport 3, Tyler 2
Deciding-Game Pitcher Sam Kovac, complete game
Estimated Final-Game Crowd More than 4,000

The Tyler Series

Game One — Tyler Tyler 5, Davenport 2
Game Two — Tyler Davenport 4, Tyler 1
Game Three — Tyler Tyler 6, Davenport 3
Game Four — Davenport Davenport 2, Tyler 0
Game Five — Davenport Tyler 4, Davenport 3
Game Six — Davenport Davenport 6, Tyler 3
Game Seven — Davenport Davenport 3, Tyler 2
Series Result Davenport defeated Tyler, four games to three
Series Status Privately arranged inter-circuit series; not recognized by either league office

Tyler carried a three-games-to-two advantage into Game Six and needed only one more victory. Davenport responded with a 6–3 win, forcing the series to a final afternoon at West End Park.

In Game Seven, Kovac surrendered two early runs before settling into the strongest stretch of his season. Davenport reduced the deficit in the middle innings, and DeLuca’s sixth-inning double brought home the tying run. The Deadheaders scored once more in the eighth and protected the lead behind Kovac’s complete game.

The crowd remained in place long after the final out. With no official trophy to present, supporters opened the brown paper bags they had carried through the gates and showered the infield with red and white roses saved for the moment. The players left the field amid newspaper photographers, children, and spectators who had crossed the rope lines.

Men of the 1946 Club

The Later Years

The Tyler series did not make Davenport a dynasty. It gave the club something more durable: an identity that outlived winning. In the seasons that followed, newspaper notices, tavern windows, ballpark signs, and homemade souvenirs returned to the same phrase — The Team That Beat the Roses — even as the Midland Association settled back into its ordinary rhythm.

The postwar roster aged quickly. Some returning servicemen left baseball for steadier work, while younger players were drawn toward better-paying clubs and sponsored industrial teams. Davenport remained stubborn at West End Park, where the low grandstand, short right-field corner, freight-line backdrop, and noisy Sunday crowds still made the grounds one of the circuit’s least comfortable stops. But the Deadheaders never again assembled a club as balanced as Donnelly’s 1946 side.

The late years did deepen the club’s place in Davenport. The flower toss became less a novelty than a civic habit. Children brought clipped blooms in lunch sacks, greenhouse workers delivered boxes of spent flowers, and galvanized buckets near the gates became as familiar as the ticket windows. By then, the Deadhead emblem had moved beyond scorecards and programs. It appeared on coolers, shag bags, banquet steins, pruning shears, buttons, hand-painted signs, and the small objects that followed supporters back into homes, taverns, garages, and factory lockers.

By 1951, the practical difficulties that had always defined the club had become harder to ignore. West End Park had no lights, its wooden grandstand required constant repair, and the industrial tract around the grounds was too valuable to remain a small daylight ballpark indefinitely. When the lease was not renewed after the season, Davenport’s directors chose not to relocate the club.

The grandstand was dismantled the following year, and the site disappeared into the freight and industrial property that had shaped it from the beginning. What remained was unusually tangible. Because the Deadheaders’ traditions depended on small objects — caps, buckets, ticket stubs, scorecards, equipment trunks, flower bags, and keepsakes — much of the club’s memory survived in attics and workshops rather than in official archives.

The collectibles below are not simply remnants of a championship season. They are evidence of how closely Davenport held the Deadheaders after the games were gone.

Deadheaders Collectibles

Previous
Previous

Burnet Blue Bonnets

Next
Next

Tyler Roses