Burnet Blue Bonnets

Burnet, Texas

Established 1921

1937 Hill Country League Champions

Burnet Blue Bonnets primary mark.
Collection of vintage Burnet Blue Bonnets team pennants.
Black-and-white photograph of three women supporting the Burnet Blue Bonnets outside Fair Grounds Park before a Sunday game.

Club History

The Burnet Blue Bonnets were organized in the spring of 1921 by railroad men, granite-yard hands, ranch workers, dam laborers, and clerks from the businesses around the county square. The first subscription drive was practical rather than grand: baseballs, rail fare, a few bats, and twelve dark-blue wool caps purchased through a local dry-goods merchant. Those caps were the only matching part of the original uniform.

The name came almost by accident. After an early road game, a county sportswriter described the visitors as “Burnet’s blue-bonneted nine.” The following week’s box score shortened the phrase to Blue Bonnets, and the club kept the two-word spelling for the remainder of its history, even as the flower the town became famous for was commonly written as one word.

The early Blue Bonnets played Sunday schedules against company clubs, ranch-town nines, and independent teams from across the Hill Country. They moved to Fair Grounds Park in 1925, when local subscribers helped enclose a field near Hamilton Creek and the railroad siding. Burnet joined the Hill Country League the following season, and its strongest rivalry quickly developed with Llano. Those games drew crowds that often had little to do with the standings and everything to do with county pride.

The club nearly disappeared during the Depression. Home dates were reduced, several road trips were canceled, and players sometimes passed a hat through the grandstand to cover the next week’s expenses. Burnet’s recovery began in the middle of the 1930s, when new workers, wages, and spectators reached town through construction west of Burnet and the growing activity around the Highland Lakes projects.

Local merchants reorganized the club before the 1935 season. Former catcher Virgil “Vick” Hall was appointed manager, and a cream interlocking BB monogram appeared on the dark-blue caps. The following spring, season-ticket books and scorecards introduced the bonneted-baseball emblem now associated with the club. Printed beneath it were the two words that became Burnet’s motto: Hold Fast.

By 1937, Burnet had developed the small public customs that made Blue Bonnets games feel like town events. Supporters pinned bluebonnet sprigs or dark-blue ribbons to hats, dress collars, shirt pockets, and Sunday jackets before walking toward Fair Grounds Park. During rivalry weeks, especially before Llano games, the gesture became a quiet way of saying that the town had taken the field with its club.

Within two seasons, Hall had assembled the strongest club in Blue Bonnets history. Burnet and Llano finished the 1937 regular season tied at 54–32, forcing a best-of-three playoff for the Hill Country League pennant. The Blue Bonnets lost the opening game in Llano, returned home to even the series at Fair Grounds Park, and then played the deciding game before one of the largest baseball crowds Burnet had ever seen.

The final game remained tied 1–1 through ten innings. In the bottom of the eleventh, second baseman Paul Gattis singled and advanced to second on a sacrifice. Center fielder Leon Baird followed with a two-out hit through the left side, scoring Gattis and giving Burnet a 2–1 victory. Right-hander Ellis “Buck” Harlan pitched all eleven innings.

Contemporary estimates placed the crowd at more than 3,700, with spectators standing behind rope lines that extended into both outfield corners. The championship was formally recorded as Burnet’s first Hill Country League title. It proved to be the club’s last.

Burnet suspended play during the war and returned in 1946 wearing the same dark-blue caps and cream flannels. The postwar clubs remained competitive, finishing second in 1948, but never returned to the championship series. In the spring of 1952, a severe windstorm damaged the Fair Grounds Park grandstand and first-base seating. The Blue Bonnets completed one final season using temporary seats and borrowed diamonds, then did not reorganize for 1953.

No complete collection of club records is known to survive. What remains includes scattered box scores, ticket books, a faded team photograph, a championship pennant, pieces of game equipment, several park fixtures, and the story of the twelve blue caps that gave Burnet’s ball club its name.

Club and Community

Club Record

Club Burnet Blue Bonnets Baseball Club
Location Burnet, Texas
Established 1921
Years Active 1921–1942; 1946–1952
Operations Suspended 1943–1945
League Hill Country League
Status Independent regional club
Home Park Fair Grounds Park
Ballpark Capacity Approximately 2,400 seated; more than 3,700 with standing room
Club Colors Dark blue, cream, and brick red
Primary Uniform Cream flannel with dark-blue BURNET lettering, dark-blue trim, and a bluebonnet bloom on the left breast
Travel Uniform Gray flannel with dark-blue BURNET lettering and simplified trim
Cap Dark-blue wool cap with a cream interlocking BB monogram
Common Shortened Name The Bonnets
Informal Nickname The Blue Caps
Name Usage The club used Blue Bonnets as two words; references to the flower use bluebonnet as one word
Club Motto Hold Fast.
Home-Crowd Custom Supporters pinned bluebonnet sprigs or dark-blue ribbons to hats, shirt pockets, and dress collars during larger home dates, especially games against Llano
Primary Cap Mark Cream interlocking BB
Primary Club Emblem A bonneted baseball wearing a dark-blue cloth bonnet and bow
Uniform Mark Bluebonnet bloom on the left breast of the primary jersey
Alternate Mark Interlocking BB over a bluebonnet bloom
Official Mascot Name None; club publications generally referred to the figure as “the Bonnet”
Cap Monogram Adopted 1935
Bonnet Emblem Adopted 1936
Uniform Mark Adopted 1937
Motto First Used 1936 season-ticket books and scorecards
Club President, 1937 Arthur L. Galloway
Manager, 1937 Virgil “Vick” Hall
Club Captain, 1937 Wade Morrow, catcher
League Titles 1937
Best-Known Rival Llano
1937 Playoff Result Defeated Llano, two games to one
Final Season 1952
Recordkeeping Note Complete box scores before the 1926 Hill Country League season have not survived
Burnet Blue Bonnets primary wordmark, in felt with embroidered bluebonnet flower.

Club Uniforms and Marks

The Blue Bonnets’ appearance began with the simplest possible uniform element: twelve dark-blue caps. Those caps gave the club its name before bluebonnet flowers, bonneted-baseball drawings, or championship pennants entered the record.

By the middle of the 1930s, Burnet had developed a more complete visual identity. The primary uniform used cream flannel, the travel uniform used gray flannel, and both carried dark-blue lettering. The primary jersey carried BURNET across the chest and, beginning with the 1937 season, a small bluebonnet bloom on the left breast. The detail was modest enough for a working ballclub, but distinctive enough to separate Burnet from the other Hill Country nines.

The cap remained the club’s clearest field mark. Introduced during the 1935 reorganization, the cream interlocking BB monogram appeared on dark-blue wool and stayed with the team through its final season. In photographs, the cap reads more plainly than the jersey: two letters, one color field, and the origin story of the club made visible.

The bonneted-baseball emblem was a printed mark rather than a field mark. First used on 1936 scorecards and season-ticket books, the drawing showed a smiling baseball wearing a dark-blue cloth bonnet tied beneath the chin. It appeared on advertisements, pennants, letterhead, and postseason souvenirs, usually beside the motto Hold Fast.

The Blue Bonnets never gave the bonneted baseball a personal name and never employed a costumed mascot. Club publications generally referred to the figure simply as “the Bonnet.” That restraint helped keep the mark from becoming a novelty. Like the club itself, it remained small, local, and unmistakably Burnet.

The two-word spelling mattered. Even as the flower became commonly written as one word, the ball club continued to use Blue Bonnets, preserving the wording of the newspaper phrase from which the name originated.

Burnet Blue Bonnets primary cap mark, in felt.

Flannel, Felt and Thread

Fair Grounds Park

Fair Grounds Park occupied a narrow tract of land near Hamilton Creek and the railroad siding on the north side of Burnet. The Blue Bonnets began playing there in 1925 after local subscribers paid to enclose the field with a cedar-board fence. The setting was plain, dusty, and useful — a fairgrounds diamond shaped by the same practical habits that supported livestock shows, Saturday gatherings, and county events.

A roofed wooden grandstand was added before the 1928 season. It seated roughly 1,800, with uncovered bleachers extending beyond first base and standing areas behind the dugouts. For ordinary league dates, the park felt comfortable and local. For Llano games, fair-week crowds, and the 1937 playoff, it seemed to stretch beyond its own construction.

The property gave the field an unusual configuration. A railroad spur restricted the right-field boundary, while center field ran deep toward open pasture. Left-handed hitters learned to use the shorter right-field line. Right-handed hitters complained about the long carry toward left-center. The field rewarded placement, patience, and the occasional Hill Country gust.

Scores from the game and reports from other league towns were posted by hand on a board beyond the first-base bleachers near the right-field gate. A young scorekeeper changed the numbers as results arrived by telephone, keeping spectators, late arrivals, and fair attendees informed throughout the afternoon.

Fair Grounds Park still belonged to the fairgrounds around it. Livestock from neighboring pens were occasionally turned loose inside the fence to keep the playing surface cut to playable height. At the far end of the first-base bleachers, near the right-field gate, a simple game-day concession table served the park’s 1930s crowds; by the 1940s, it had been expanded into a small wooden serving counter. Spectators moved between the concession area, the water station near the restroom entrance, the shaded grandstand passage, and the rope lines that marked overflow space for larger crowds.

The park hosted the final game of the 1937 pennant playoff and remained Burnet’s home through 1952. A spring windstorm that year lifted part of the grandstand roof and damaged several sections of first-base seating. Temporary repairs carried the Blue Bonnets through one final schedule, but the structure was dismantled after the club ceased operations.

Illustrated 1937 site plan of Fair Grounds Park in Burnet, showing field dimensions, grandstand, bleachers, railroad siding, and fairgrounds buildings.

Park and Field

Fair Grounds Park field, seating, amenities, clubhouse, traditions, and closure
Ballpark Fair Grounds Park
Location Burnet, Texas
Setting Fairgrounds tract near Hamilton Creek and the railroad siding on the north side of town
Years Used 1925–1952
Key Dates Field enclosed in 1925; roofed grandstand added before 1928; hosted the 1937 playoff finale; damaged by windstorm in 1952
Fence Cedar-board outfield fence with temporary rope lines added for overflow crowds
Left Field 327 feet
Center Field 402 feet
Right Field 309 feet
Field Shape Short right-field line restricted by railroad property; deep center field extending toward open pasture
Field Maintenance Livestock from the neighboring fairgrounds were occasionally turned loose inside the park to keep the playing surface cut to playable height
Lighting None; games were played in daylight
Seating and Gates
Roofed Grandstand Approximately 1,800 seats behind home plate
Bleachers Uncovered wooden benches extending beyond first base
Standing Areas Rope-line areas behind the dugouts and into both outfield corners for rivalry games, fair-week crowds, and playoff dates
Seated Capacity Approximately 2,400
Largest Recorded Crowd More than 3,700 for the 1937 playoff finale against Llano
Entrances Main fairgrounds entrance behind home plate, with additional gates along the third-base side and near the right-field corner
Concessions and Public Amenities
Scoreboard Hand-updated game board beyond the first-base bleachers near the right-field gate, with inning totals changed by hand and out-of-town scores received by telephone
Concession Area Located at the far end of the first-base bleachers near the right-field gate; shown as a simple serving table on the 1937 site plan and expanded into a small wooden counter by the 1940s
Common Concession Fare Cold drinks, peanuts, sandwiches, hot dogs, popcorn, and fair-week vendor fare
Water Station Galvanized fairgrounds water cooler set near the restroom entrance
Public Restrooms Fairgrounds restrooms near the shaded walkway and water station
Public Amenities Fairgrounds restrooms, the water station, shaded walkways, the concession area beside the first-base bleachers, and temporary crowd ropes for larger dates
Clubhouse and Fairgrounds Use
Clubhouse Arrangement Home players dressed in a plain frame room near the third-base side; visiting clubs used shared fairgrounds rooms when available
Home Dressing Room Open wooden shelves, benches, hanging flannels, caps, bats, gloves, and a shared water tank
Fairgrounds Use The park shared its setting with livestock shows, county gatherings, fair-week vendors, ranch wagons, and Saturday crowds
Traditions and Closure
Notable Tradition Blue ribbons and pinned bluebonnet sprigs appeared in the crowd during larger home dates, especially games against Llano
Rivalry Dates Llano games drew the largest regular-season crowds and often carried courthouse-square banners, early-arriving spectators, and overflow rope lines
Final Season 1952
Closure Note Spring windstorm damage and failed repair fundraising ended the park’s use as a permanent Blue Bonnets home

Snapshots from Fair Grounds Park

The Championship Season

The 1937 Blue Bonnets were not built like a traditional powerhouse. Burnet had no deep bench, lavish backer, or large-city talent pool to draw from. What the club did have was a settled lineup, dependable pitching, a strong partnership between manager Virgil “Vick” Hall and catcher Wade Morrow, and a town that treated every home date against Llano as a public obligation.

Hall’s club won steadily rather than spectacularly. Ellis “Buck” Harlan led the pitching staff, Morrow caught the most important innings, and Leon Baird gave Burnet a center fielder who could change a game with both his bat and his range. By late summer, Burnet and Llano had separated themselves from the rest of the Hill Country League but not from each other.

Llano week changed Burnet before it changed the standings. Storefront banners appeared around the square, dark-blue ribbons were pinned to hats and shirtfronts, and bluebonnet sprigs showed up on collars and dress pockets. By game time, the rivalry had moved from the streets to Fair Grounds Park, where the shaded grandstand, first-base bleachers, and overflow rope lines filled earlier than usual.

After eighty-six games, Burnet and Llano stood even at 54–32. The league ordered a best-of-three playoff to decide the pennant. Llano won Game One at home, 4–2. The series then moved to Burnet, where Games Two and Three were both played at Fair Grounds Park.

Burnet answered with a 5–1 victory in Game Two, evening the series and setting up the deciding game on the same field. The finale remained tied 1–1 through ten innings. Harlan worked quickly and stayed in command despite the heat and the crowd pressing close behind the rope lines.

In the bottom of the eleventh, Paul Gattis singled and advanced to second on a sacrifice. Leon Baird then lined a two-out single through the left side, bringing Gattis home with the championship run.

Burnet won, 2–1. Harlan had pitched all eleven innings, and the Blue Bonnets had secured the first Hill Country League title in club history. No later Burnet team matched it.

1937 at a Glance

Burnet Blue Bonnets 1937 season record and championship summary
Regular-Season Record 54–32
Home Record 31–12
Road Record 23–20
League Finish Tied for first with Llano
Manager Virgil “Vick” Hall
Club Captain Wade Morrow
Leading Pitcher Ellis “Buck” Harlan, 17–6
Leading Hitter Leon Baird, .338
Pennant Playoff Burnet defeated Llano, two games to one
Deciding-Game Score Burnet 2, Llano 1
Deciding-Game Length 11 innings
Deciding-Game Pitcher Ellis “Buck” Harlan, complete game
Winning Hit Leon Baird, two-out single
Winning Run Paul Gattis
Estimated Final-Game Crowd More than 3,700

The Llano Playoff

Game One — at Llano Llano 4, Burnet 2
Game Two — at Burnet Burnet 5, Llano 1
Game Three — at Burnet Burnet 2, Llano 1 — 11 innings
Series Result Burnet defeated Llano, two games to one

Llano took the early advantage by winning Game One at home, but the series shifted to Fair Grounds Park for the final two games. Burnet’s 5–1 victory in Game Two evened the playoff and set up the deciding game before the home crowd. For the finale, spectators filled the roofed grandstand, packed the first-base bleachers, and stood behind rope lines extending into the outfield corners.

Harlan allowed one run in Game Three and remained on the mound for all eleven innings. Morrow caught the complete game, Baird delivered the winning hit, and the crowd stayed long after the final out. With no elaborate trophy ceremony recorded, the celebration moved naturally from the fairgrounds toward the town square: handshakes, truck beds, storefront congratulations, dark-blue ribbons still pinned to shirtfronts, and championship pennants soon appearing in windows across Burnet.

Men of the 1937 Club

The Later Years

The 1937 championship did not turn Burnet into a powerhouse. It gave the town something more durable: a single, settled memory that outlived the standings. In later years, the Blue Bonnets were measured against Vick Hall’s 1937 club even when the roster, schedule, and league had changed around them.

The wartime suspension broke the team’s continuity. When Burnet resumed play in 1946, five members of the prewar club returned, along with younger players drawn from local jobs, road crews, ranch families, and neighboring independent teams. The Blue Bonnets finished fourth in their first season back and rose to second place in 1948, their best postwar result.

The late clubs still made Fair Grounds Park difficult for visitors. The field’s deep center, short right-field line, dust, rope-line crowds, and close wooden grandstand gave Burnet an advantage that did not always show in the league table. Games against Llano remained the emotional center of the schedule, and older supporters still measured each new catcher, pitcher, or center fielder against Morrow, Harlan, and Baird.

By then, the club’s public identity had moved beyond box scores. The interlocking BB appeared on caps, sweaters, bus doors, handbills, and pennants. The bonneted baseball turned up on ticket books, holiday cards, dugout jackets, and small keepsakes that followed supporters back into homes, ranch offices, workshops, and downtown stores. Bluebonnet sprigs and dark-blue ribbons remained part of larger home dates, especially when Llano came to Burnet.

By the early 1950s, the practical strain had become harder to ignore. Regional travel costs increased, longtime sponsors aged or stepped back, and several home dates were reduced or combined with fairgrounds events to save money. The Blue Bonnets were still loved, but love did not repair wood, pay rail fare, or keep a small independent club solvent.

The 1952 windstorm brought the matter to an end. Fair Grounds Park’s grandstand roof was damaged, first-base seating was left unsafe, and Burnet completed the season with temporary seating and borrowed diamonds for several late dates. A winter effort to finance repairs fell short. The club did not enter the Hill Country League for 1953.

Long after the final season, Burnet’s association with the bluebonnet flower made the club’s name seem inevitable. Older supporters maintained that the explanation was simpler. Burnet’s ball club had worn blue caps. Everything else came later.

The collectibles below are not simply souvenirs from a single pennant. They are evidence of how a fairgrounds ballclub became part of Burnet’s civic memory.

Blue Bonnets Collectibles

Previous
Previous

Albany Orange Wonders

Next
Next

Davenport Deadheaders