PERMANENT COLLECTION · GALLERY 001

Saratoga Springs Fascinators

After the Final Race

Saratoga Springs, New York · 1928–1942

Independent Collegiate Resort Club

Entrance to the Saratoga Springs Fascinators exhibit in the Ball Club Register Museum.

For thirteen summers, a ballpark called The Hatbox opened its gates as the Saratoga Race Course closed for the day. Inside, two squads wearing the same cap played in the fading light while supper was served above the field.

The Saratoga Springs Fascinators belonged to no league and played no outside opponents. Their schedule followed the horses, their Red and White squads were reassembled each evening and their ballpark operated with the studied hospitality of a resort hotel.

Drawn from photographs, records and surviving objects, this exhibition preserves the club and the particular hour of Saratoga life it occupied: the interval between the final race and nightfall.

Embroidered Saratoga Springs Fascinators primary cap mark.
Saratoga Springs Fascinators at a glance
Name Saratoga Springs Fascinators Baseball Club
Established 1928
Years Active 1928–1942
Classification Independent collegiate summer club
Club Type Resort club
Home Park The Hatbox, 1928–1940
Playing Format Two nightly squads under one club name
Squads White and Red
First Pitch Fifteen minutes after final post
Club Colors Saratoga red and white
Motto After the last race, first pitch.

I · ORIGINS

The Hour After Racing

Saratoga’s summer day belonged to the Race Course. The horses worked in the morning. The grandstand filled in the afternoon. By the time the final race had been run, thousands of visitors were moving back toward the hotels, boardinghouses and restaurants with several hours of daylight remaining.

The city had no shortage of places to dine, socialize or wager. What it lacked was a place where that procession could continue without requiring racegoers to change clothes or surrender the mood of the afternoon.

Julian P. “Jules” Devereux was a Saratoga hotel man who understood that the town’s most valuable commodity was not lodging, mineral water or even racing. It was momentum. Saratoga worked best when one attraction carried naturally into the next.

In 1928, he proposed an evening ball club whose schedule would be set by the Race Course. First pitch would be announced not at a fixed hour, but fifteen minutes after the final post.

Devereux had little interest in operating an ordinary independent club. A conventional team required outside opponents, reciprocal travel dates and long stretches when the ballpark stood empty. None of that suited a resort town whose population swelled for a few intense summer weeks.

Instead, he recruited enough college players to form two complete squads and placed both under the same name.

Every player was a Fascinator.

One squad wore white flannel with red pinstripes. The other wore solid Saratoga red. Players moved freely between them. A pitcher who wore White on Tuesday might start at third base wearing Red on Thursday. A shortstop could be reassigned overnight to strengthen an infield. Rosters were posted each afternoon after the club manager had considered the available pitchers, minor injuries and the previous evening’s result.

There were no league standings to follow. The attraction was the club itself.


The Fascinators were created for the hours between the final race and nightfall.

II · THE PLAYING SYSTEM

Two Squads, One Institution

White and Red were not permanent teams. They were temporary assignments made each afternoon from one shared roster. Players practiced together, lived together and entered the field through the same passage. At first pitch, they became opponents.

The Fascinators maintained a roster of twenty-eight to thirty-four college players during a typical summer. They came from schools across New York, New England, Pennsylvania and the Mid-Atlantic. Some remained for the entire racing season. Others arrived after summer classes, departed for family obligations or stayed only long enough to receive several weeks of concentrated instruction and regular play.

Players lived in rented rooms, hotel annexes and private homes throughout Saratoga Springs. During the day, some held jobs around town or assisted at local hotels. Others helped the grounds crew, repaired equipment or performed the small jobs required to prepare the park for the evening.

The arrangement initially sounded frivolous to Charles “Red” Mallory, the former minor-league catcher hired to manage the baseball operation. Mallory believed in fixed lineups, hard practices and opponents who took the field under their own name. He regarded the fancy hats, supper tables and nightly roster changes as distractions invented by hotel men.

Mallory could not change the format. He could make the baseball serious.

He held morning workouts away from the guests and refused to compromise the quality of play for the benefit of the spectacle. Infield drills, pitching sessions and individual instruction took place before the grandstand and dining room came alive. Mallory recruited capable college players, demanded clean defensive play and expected every game to be contested properly, regardless of how temporary the evening’s assignments might be.

By the second summer, the quality of play had become part of the attraction. Scouts learned that Saratoga offered several weeks of strong college baseball in one place. Players learned that a productive August at The Hatbox could carry farther than an ordinary summer at home. Patrons learned that the Red and White squads might share a clubhouse, but played like rivals once the game began.

Mallory usually assigned between thirteen and seventeen players to each side. The exact division changed according to the available roster. College pitchers required rest. Players arrived and departed according to different academic schedules. Minor injuries had to be managed without canceling a game. A squad weakened by a departing catcher or a tired pitching staff could be repaired before the following evening.

Two field coaches assisted Mallory, with each taking charge of one squad during the game. Mallory made the initial assignments, balancing the available pitchers, catchers and everyday players. The coach whose squad had lost the previous evening then received first choice from the remaining unassigned players. The system gave the losing side a modest advantage without allowing either squad to become dominant.

Once the squads were settled, Ruth Van Arsdale transferred the assignments into the official club ledger. The hospitality office prepared the lineup cards, and movable wooden name slats were arranged beneath WHITE and RED headings on the board in the entrance concourse. Patrons gathered there before taking their seats to discover which players would oppose one another that evening.

Although every result was recorded, White and Red did not accumulate meaningful season-long records.

Mallory measured the season differently. Every player was expected to leave Saratoga a better ballplayer than he had been when he arrived.

Each evening’s game stood on its own, and each was played to win. When the final out was recorded, the temporary division disappeared. The players returned through the same passage, changed in the same clubhouse and left the ballpark as teammates.

The crowd understood the arrangement quickly. Visitors adopted a color for the evening, and hotel desks kept red and white ribbons for guests who wished to declare their allegiance. Regular patrons argued that Mallory favored one side, though the evidence seemed to change from week to week. When newcomers asked which squad they ought to support, the answer was always the same: both.

By the following afternoon, Mallory was ready to divide the institution again.


The uniforms distinguished the evening’s squads. The cap united them as Fascinators.

III · UNIFORMS AND IDENTITY

The Club in Red and White

The Fascinators wore Saratoga red and white before the combination became inseparable from the Race Course in the public imagination. Club tradition later held that the track had borrowed the palette from the ball club. The claim was impossible to prove and repeated too happily to be entirely trusted.

The White squad wore white wool flannel with narrow red pinstripes and a red felt Saratoga script across the chest. Its broad, ribbon-like S echoed the club’s cap mark, while the remaining letters carried the word cleanly across the jersey. Red felt numerals appeared on the back.

The Red squad wore solid red wool flannel with compact white SARATOGA lettering set straight across the chest. Its close-set block letters were sturdy and unornamented, providing a deliberate contrast with the White squad’s flowing script. White felt numerals appeared on the back, while a white leather belt broke the otherwise uninterrupted field of red.

Only the Red squad wore a sleeve patch. The design placed a baseball diamond within the geometry of racing silks, divided into red-and-white sections with the letters SSF at its center. Its lower point faced the cuff when worn. The patch gave the club a compact identifying mark that could be reproduced on programs, table cards and pennants without requiring the more elaborate cap emblem.

Both squads wore the same four-panel cap. Its white front and rear panels alternated with red panels at the sides, while a solid red bill completed the arrangement. Centered above the brow was a broad red S topped by a restrained late-1920s fascinator composed of a tilted cloche, a single flower and a narrow loop.

The Fascinators maintained no travel uniform. White and Red were not home and alternate sets in the conventional sense. They were the temporary colors of the evening’s opponents, worn in the same ballpark by players who might exchange assignments the following day.

IV · THE BALLPARK

The Hatbox

The Fascinators’ home was not simply the place where the club played. The Hatbox’s location, architecture and service operation determined what the club could be.

Devereux chose open ground near Jefferson Street and Crescent Avenue, southeast of downtown Saratoga Springs. The site was close enough to receive the post-race crowd and far enough from the downtown hotels to accommodate a substantial ballpark. Built in the spring of 1928, The Hatbox combined a red-brick lower story with a timber-framed grandstand and covered dining gallery above it.

Later additions carried the brick base, galleries and grandstand roof farther down both foul lines, gradually absorbing the original central structure into a much larger building.

From the entrance, The Hatbox resembled an oversized resort pavilion arranged around a ballfield. A broad, horseshoe-shaped grandstand curved behind home plate and continued nearly to the foul poles. At its center, a gabled entrance projected from the otherwise continuous façade, with THE HATBOX painted above the main passage.

The enclosed brick level contained the kitchen, club offices, ticket room, restrooms, storage rooms and player quarters. Above it rose an open grandstand framed by heavy timber posts and roof trusses. Painted railings, exposed beams and a deep overhanging roof gave the upper level the character of a Saratoga veranda.

Conventional grandstand seating occupied the inner sections nearest the field. Behind it, a continuous covered gallery curved around home plate and extended along both foul lines. This was the feature that made the park famous: the Hatbox Supper Club.

Ninety tables, each seating four, were arranged across the stepped dining gallery, with the largest concentration behind home plate and along the first-base side. Every table was covered in white linen and set with simple china and a shaded lamp. Service aisles allowed waiters to move behind the tables without obstructing the view of the field. Supper seats were reserved by the evening or included in hotel packages. Conventional grandstand seats, bleachers and standing admission remained available to guests who came only for the game.

Red-and-white canvas awnings ran along the outer edge of the dining gallery and shaded the open bays between its timber posts. Smaller awnings covered the ticket windows and entrance doors below. The pattern was visible before the roofline and made the building recognizable from the approaching road.

The foul poles repeated the striping of the awnings. Each was slender, only modestly higher than the outfield fence and topped by a small gold ball finial.

A row of cast lawn-jockey figures stood along the entrance walk, each painted in one of the club’s two uniforms and holding a lantern toward arriving guests. The figures were eccentric even by Saratoga standards and quickly became one of the park’s most popular details.

The field itself remained compact and serious. The grandstand wrapped closely around home plate, concentrating the sound of the crowd. The White dugout stood along the first-base line and the Red dugout along the third. Beyond the outfield fence, the open ground and scattered houses of southeastern Saratoga remained visible.

The grandstand supplied its own name. Its curved form enclosed the crowd and field like the lower half of a round carrying case, while the broad roof rested over the gathering like a lid. From the entrance road, the building resembled a hatbox opened toward the diamond.

Supper at the Ballpark

The Hatbox dining gallery did not operate as an oversized concession stand. It functioned as a seasonal restaurant whose dining room happened to overlook a ballfield.

The kitchen occupied the brick level beneath the third-base section of the grandstand, with a broad service pass opening toward the dining gallery and the field beyond. Cast-iron ranges lined one wall, while preparation tables and dish stations filled the center of the room. From the pass, cooks and waiters could follow the game as they worked. Orders were arranged by table number and inning, allowing the staff to time each course to the progress of play. Finished plates moved directly from the kitchen into the covered gallery.

Saratoga chips appeared on every supper table. Bowls of thin, crisp potatoes were set out before first pitch and replenished through the early innings. They accompanied sandwiches, lake trout and cold chicken, leaving enough salt on a guest’s fingers to mark the edge of a scorecard.

The Hatbox also had its own summer drink.

Nell Vredenburgh developed the Hatbox Cup during the park’s first season from fresh lime juice, raspberry syrup and cold sparkling mineral water poured over cracked ice. It arrived in a tall glass with a thin wheel of lime, a single raspberry and a red-and-white striped paper straw. The drink was light enough to last through several innings, and rows of pale red glasses became part of the dining gallery’s appearance before first pitch.

When The Hatbox opened in 1928, the Cup was necessarily alcohol-free. After repeal in 1933, dry gin became an official addition. The original mineral-water version remained on the supper card and was served from pitchers at larger tables, while the gin Cup became the familiar evening order. Regulars rarely used its full name. They asked for “a Cup,” adding “straight” when they wanted the original without gin.

The first round usually reached the tables as guests arrived from the Race Course. A second moved through the gallery near the fourth inning. Each glass rested on a small linen coaster bearing the SSF racing-silk diamond. Together with the Saratoga chips, the Hatbox Cup became one of the objects most closely associated with an evening at the park.

The supper changed through the season, but familiar dishes included roast-beef sandwiches, fried or roasted chicken, lake trout, summer salads, corn, sliced tomatoes and shortcake. Coffee and Saratoga mineral water were constant. During the final years of Prohibition, the printed menu remained dry. What passed privately between certain guests and certain waiters was wisely omitted from club records.

Service was managed by Vredenburgh, a Saratoga native and Skidmore graduate who became the club’s hospitality director at twenty-seven. She established the service routes, trained the seasonal waitstaff and refused to let the supper club become a costume party built around baseball.

Her most important source of seasonal talent was Skidmore College.

Skidmore had become a four-year women’s college in 1922 and remained woven through downtown Saratoga during the Fascinators’ years. Students and recent graduates worked in the Hatbox office, designed menus and programs, managed reservations, kept correspondence, assisted with accounting and served as official scorers. Art students produced posters and the first finished drawings of the club’s marks. Business students helped Vredenburgh impose order on an operation whose starting time changed with the racing card.


The women were not decorative hostesses. They made the place run.

V · DAILY LIFE

One Day at The Hatbox

The Fascinators were best understood not through a single season, but through the repeated work of an ordinary game day. From morning practice through the final out, the club turned the end of the racing card into a complete evening of baseball.

The process began in the morning. Mallory held workouts before the heat settled over the field, using the quiet hours for infield drills, pitchers’ work and instruction that would have been difficult once the dining room and grandstand came alive. Players with hotel or park jobs left after practice. Others remained to help the grounds crew, repair equipment or sleep in the shade beneath the grandstand.

By early afternoon, Mallory had begun arranging the two sides. The previous night’s score mattered, but so did tired arms, minor injuries, departures, new arrivals and the need to give scouts a proper look at particular players. Ruth Van Arsdale transferred the assignments into the official book. The hospitality office prepared lineup cards and the wooden slats for the concourse board.

The kitchen and dining room worked against the same moving clock. The day’s race card supplied an expected final post, but weather, racing delays and stewards’ inquiries could move it. Hotel desks telephoned the Hatbox office. Shuttle drivers waited for confirmation. Vredenburgh held the final seating instructions until the Race Course had nearly finished.

Following the final post, the park changed quickly.

Automobiles, hired cars, hotel shuttles and pedestrians began arriving together. The lineup board drew a crowd in the entrance concourse. Saratoga chips reached the tables first, followed by Hatbox Cups rising pale red above the linen.

Fifteen minutes after the final post, the two squads entered through the shared passage beneath NO FAVORITE IS SAFE HERE. One turned toward the first-base dugout, the other toward third.

Supper began shortly after first pitch. Waiters moved during natural breaks and held trays when play tightened around the plate. By the fourth inning, second rounds of Hatbox Cups circulated through the grandstand. By the seventh inning, shaded table lamps and entrance lanterns glowed beneath the roof while the field remained in daylight.

The Hatbox had no lights. Most games reached nine innings, but darkness remained part of the arrangement. A long argument, a slow pitcher or extra innings could leave the final outs in deep twilight. Mallory resisted proposals to shorten the schedule permanently. Resort baseball, he insisted, still had to be baseball.

After the game, the Red and White distinction disappeared. Players returned through the same tunnel and changed in the same clubhouse. Van Arsdale closed the scorebook. The kitchen counted its china. Hotel cars collected the remaining guests.

By morning, Mallory was ready to divide the club again.

The Daily Schedule

Typical nightly schedule at The Hatbox
MorningPlayer workout, pitching sessions, field maintenance and equipment repair
Early AfternoonMallory reviews player availability, injuries and pitching rest
Mid-AfternoonWhite and Red assignments entered into the club ledger
Before Final PostKitchen preparation, table setting, lineup cards typed and name slats arranged
Final PostHotel desks and shuttle drivers receive confirmation; the gates open fully and supper seating begins
Five Minutes After Final PostLineups posted; Saratoga chips and first Hatbox Cups reach the tables
Fifteen Minutes After Final PostFirst pitch and supper service begin
Fourth InningPrincipal supper service and customary second round of Hatbox Cups
Seventh InningTable lamps and entrance lanterns are lit as daylight begins to fall
Final OutScorebooks closed, player statistics transferred and hotel cars called
Following MorningPlayers return as one roster; preparation begins for the next evening’s assignments

VI · PEOPLE

The People Who Made the Institution

The Fascinators depended on more than the players. Baseball management, hospitality, recordkeeping and seasonal labor operated beneath one roof. Together, these figures turned an unusual idea into a summer institution capable of beginning again each afternoon.

VII · FINAL YEARS

The Institution Did Not Travel

The Hatbox lasted through the summer of 1940. The Fascinators continued for two seasons afterward, but the essential institution had already disappeared.

By then, the value of the land had changed. New York’s adoption of pari-mutuel wagering and local interest in a permanent harness-racing facility gave the Jefferson Street and Crescent Avenue property a future that no seasonal ballpark could withstand. Plans for Saratoga Raceway moved quickly.

The Fascinators’ final game at The Hatbox followed the last card of the 1940 thoroughbred season. There was no ceremonial opponent. Red played White. Former players filled both benches. Vredenburgh kept to the usual supper card and Hatbox Cups rather than prepare a commemorative menu. Mallory declined to make a speech before the game.

The White squad won in the ninth inning.

During the months that followed, the grandstand was dismantled and the field disappeared beneath construction of the new harness track. Saratoga Raceway opened in June 1941 with night racing and pari-mutuel wagering. The new attraction occupied the same ground and, in a different form, the same evening hours Devereux had identified thirteen years earlier.

The Fascinators attempted to continue at Recreation Field in 1941 and 1942. The baseball remained credible, but the institution did not travel. There was no covered dining gallery, no Hatbox kitchen, no familiar entrance walk and none of the simple elegance the old park had provided. Attendance fell. Wartime travel restrictions and the declining availability of college players made the model more difficult to sustain.

The club suspended operations before the 1943 season.

Devereux insisted that the suspension was temporary. Mallory did not. After the war, several former players and supporters discussed a revival, but the essential site was gone. Rebuilding elsewhere would have produced another ball club with the same name. It would not have restored the Fascinators.

Legacy

The Saratoga Springs Fascinators left behind no league pennant and no record against rival clubs. Their legacy was The Hatbox itself: a summer ball club shaped entirely by the town that sustained it.

The Race Course determined the schedule. Saratoga’s hotels supplied the standards of hospitality. Local kitchens, racing customs and the city’s summer social life gave the club its character. Skidmore women managed design, accounting, scoring and hotel coordination, while varied admission prices ensured that The Hatbox remained more than a supper club for resort guests. Each element belonged to Saratoga. Together, they created an institution that could have existed nowhere else.

For thirteen summers at The Hatbox, the Fascinators occupied a precise place in the rhythm of the city. The races ended, Broadway filled and the crowd moved toward The Hatbox for supper and baseball in the fading light. The club did not compete with Saratoga’s other attractions. It connected them.

The ballpark eventually gave way to another racetrack, an ending that returned the property to the world from which the Fascinators had emerged. What endured were photographs of the red-and-white awnings, the shared cap and the promise that had defined every evening:

After the last race, first pitch.

Collection Study

ARCHIVAL RECORD

Saratoga Springs Fascinators

Complete Club Register Entry

The following entry consolidates the known organizational, competitive and material record of the Saratoga Springs Fascinators. It is preserved as supporting documentation for Gallery 001.

Club Record

Saratoga Springs Fascinators club record
Club Saratoga Springs Fascinators Baseball Club
Location Saratoga Springs, New York
Established 1928
Years Active 1928–1942
Hatbox Seasons 1928–1940
Recreation Field Seasons 1941–1942
Operations Suspended 1943
Classification Independent collegiate summer club
Club Type Resort club operating during the Saratoga thoroughbred racing season
League None
Format Two internally selected squads operating under one club name
Squads White and Red
Outside Opponents None; games matched White and Red squads drawn from the shared roster
League Titles None; the club did not participate in league competition
Home Park The Hatbox, 1928–1940; Recreation Field, 1941–1942
Ballpark Capacity Approximately 2,700 seated; more than 3,400 with standing room
Club Colors Saratoga red and white
White Squad Uniform White flannel with narrow red pinstripes and red Saratoga script
Red Squad Uniform Solid red flannel with compact white SARATOGA lettering
Travel Uniform None; the Fascinators played exclusively in Saratoga Springs
Cap Four-panel wool cap with white front and rear panels, red side panels and red bill
Primary Cap Mark Broad red S topped by a tilted cloche, flower and narrow fascinator loop
Uniform Mark Red-and-white SSF racing-silk diamond, worn by the Red squad only
Primary Club Emblem SSF racing-silk diamond
Official Mascot None
Common Shortened Name The Fascinators
Informal Nickname The Hatbox Club
Club Motto After the last race, first pitch.
Clubhouse Sign No Favorite Is Safe Here.
First Pitch Fifteen minutes after final post
Signature Food Saratoga chips
Signature Drink Hatbox Cup
Cap Mark Adopted 1928
SSF Patch Adopted 1929
Motto First Used 1928 hotel cards and opening-season newspaper notices
Founder and President Julian P. “Jules” Devereux
Manager Charles “Red” Mallory
Hospitality Director Eleanor “Nell” Vredenburgh
Official Scorer Ruth Van Arsdale
Final Hatbox Game 1940, following the final race card of the season
Final Season 1942
Recordkeeping Note Official statistics followed individual players across changing White and Red assignments; the club maintained no season-long squad standings

The Hatbox

Complete Park and Field Record

This building record documents the known dimensions, capacity, public facilities, field features and operating spaces of The Hatbox during its principal period of use.

The Hatbox park and field record
Ballpark The Hatbox
Location Near Jefferson Street and Crescent Avenue, Saratoga Springs
Setting Resort ballpark southeast of downtown Saratoga Springs, close enough to receive the post-race crowd
Opened 1928 racing season
Final Season 1940
Surface Natural grass
Left Field 320 feet
Center Field 386 feet
Right Field 308 feet
Foul Poles Red-and-white finish-post pattern with small gold ball finials
Lighting None; all games were played in late-afternoon and early-evening daylight
Construction Enclosed red-brick lower level supporting an open, timber-framed upper grandstand and dining gallery beneath a deep roof
Primary Grandstand Curved horseshoe-shaped structure behind home plate extending nearly to both foul poles
Exterior Finish Cream-painted stucco, pointed timber railings and red-and-white canvas awnings along the upper gallery
Conventional Grandstand Seating Approximately 1,900
Supper Club Seating 90 four-person tables; approximately 360 seats
Bleacher Seating Approximately 440
Total Seated Capacity Approximately 2,700
Largest Crowds More than 3,400, with standing room along the foul-line rails and outfield ropes
General Admission 35¢
Reserved Grandstand 55¢
Children 15¢
Supper Club Seat $1.25, including admission, Saratoga chips and a combined supper-and-score card; meals and drinks ordered separately
Dry Hatbox Cup 20¢
Gin Hatbox Cup 35¢ after repeal
Typical Supper Prices Roast beef sandwich 40¢; cold chicken plate 55¢; lake trout 65¢; summer salad 20¢; shortcake 25¢; coffee 10¢; mineral water 10¢
Public Restrooms Four within the brick lower level: two women’s rooms and two men’s rooms
Public Amenities Three drinking fountains, two pay telephones, first-aid room, coat and parcel check, lost-and-found desk and hotel-shuttle board
Kitchen Full working kitchen in the brick level beneath the third-base section, with cast-iron ranges, preparation tables, dish stations and a broad service pass overlooking the field
Shared Clubhouse Located beneath the third-base grandstand, with open lockers, showers, training table and movable player nameplates
Manager’s Office Small room adjoining the clubhouse with roster board, desk, telephone and individual player ledger
Players’ Passage Shared tunnel connecting the clubhouse to the field beneath the sign No Favorite Is Safe Here
Lineup Board Movable White and Red name slats displayed in the entrance concourse
Entrance Feature Gabled central entrance beneath THE HATBOX sign, approached by lawn-jockey lantern figures painted in alternating Fascinators uniforms
Signature Food Saratoga chips served at every supper table
Signature Drink Hatbox Cup made with lime, raspberry syrup and sparkling mineral water; dry gin optional after 1933
Closure Dismantled after the 1940 season for construction of Saratoga Raceway
Successor on Site Saratoga Raceway, opened June 1941

MUSEUM SHOP · GALLERY 001

Take a Piece of the Exhibition Home

Coming soon.

Next
Next

Albany Orange Wonders